On the 18th of November the London Study Centre hosted a career evening for UCEAP English University students. UC alumni from various fields were invited to speak to students both on a panel and at a networking reception afterwards. It was a great opportunity for students to share their passions and goals with people in fields of interest to them, as well as enjoy a taste of California with Chipotle burritos!
During the panel Charlie Swann, the moderator for the event, asked a series of questions relating to the first jobs the alumni had, what the alumni look for in a resume, how they came to be working in London, advice they have for students and many other equally important questions.
I do feel that the questions and topics that Charlie raised are exactly the primary concerns of us senior undergraduates who are busy seeking internships and jobs. – UCEAP English University Student, Fall 2015
After the panel the UC Trust sponsored a networking reception for the alumni and students. This gave students the chance to have a more personalized discussion with alumni and get their specific questions answered.
I absolutely loved the career night. It was wonderful to learn how other alumni used their experiences during their study abroad to help them return later on, and [I] got advice on what I can do now in my study abroad to return like they did. – Lacy Wright, UCEAP English University Student, Fall 2015
UC Alumni in Attendance
- Baron Abramowitz, a UC Santa Barbara alumnus currently earning his MSc Finance at Cass Business School, City University London.
- Maya Bruhis, a UC San Diego alumna working in product quality analytics at Facebook.
- Violet Del Toro, a UC Riverside alumna working with the UC Trust UK.
- Jennifer King, a UC Los Angeles alumna who is the business director at an advertising agency.
- Shrina Kurani, a UC Riverside alumna who is doing a fellowship with World Bee Project.
- Sarah Landis, a UC Los Angeles alumna, an epidemiologist for a pharmaceutical company.
- Stephanie Ostrich, a UC Riverside alumna running a community archaeology project.
- Charlie Swann, a UC Los Angeles alumnus working for Universal Studios in International Marketing and Promotions.
Thanks to everyone who came!!
It was more of a genuine conversation between two people, rather than trying to constantly impress them. I had a good time getting outside of my comfort zone and learning from these [alumni] about their different fields of work. I definitely recommend this to anyone who wants practical advice about what they can do with their majors and network with leaders in the industry. -Tiffany Chiu, UCEAP English University Student, Fall 2015