When you hear people start complaining about the heat and see people sunbathing in the park, you know summer is happening in the UK. And it is GLORIOUS. Here are a few things I highly recommend you do this summer!!
- Have a cheeky BBQ.
A British summer staple. Go to the beach or the park with your friends and bring a disposable charcoal BBQ to cook up some burgers and sausages! Just be sure to check the public beach and park laws before you picnic! I also recommend bringing charcuterie and fancy cheese; it’s just WAY better in the UK.
- Or just hang out in ones of the UK’s MANY parks.
Everywhere you look there’s a new park for you to take a nap, read a book or hang out with friends! FYI you may come across people sunbathing on their lunch breaks. British people try to get as much sun as the can!
- Rent a bike and see the sights!
In London, you can hire a bike from as little as £2 through Santander Cycles. Simply go to any docking station with your bank card and touch the screen to get started.
There’s no need to book – hire a bike, ride it where you like, then return it to any docking station.
In other cities, you can easily rent bicycles through apps like Lime or from rental shops!
- Go on a day trip to a nearby town!
Big cities are so much fun to explore, but don’t forget to check out the cute little villages! They are great for pictures and hold so much history!
- Feeling adventurous? Take on a treetop challenge and swing through the trees!
Go Ape! is the ULTIMATE outdoor adventure! From tree-to-tree crossings to super-springy bounce nets and zippy Segways, there’s a variety of exhilarating experiences to choose from at locations all over the United Kingdom!
For more info, check out this link: https://goape.co.uk/adventures
- Get outside the city and go camping!
Rent some equipment or an Airbnb tent to share with your friends! Enjoy the English countryside or the Scottish Highlands in a new way!
- Spend an evening at an outdoor cinema!
- Hike through one (or more) of the UK’s national parks!
- Celebrate LGBT+Pride!
Here’s a list of some of the MANY Pride events that are happening this summer!
Edinburgh Pride – 22 June 2019
London Pride – 6 July 2019
Glasgow Pride – 13 July 2019
Brighton Pride – 3 August 2019
- Take a dip in one of the outdoor public swimming pools (called ‘lidos’ in the UK)!
11. Wander through some of the free museums and galleries!
12. Go to Brighton and have the best fish and chips of your life (or go see one of the other nice beaches)!!
13. Go punt yourself around Oxford or Cambridge!
14. Explore one of the other countries that make up the UK!
If you are studying in England, hope over to Ireland, Scotland or Wales! Prices for flights are relatively cheap and exploring the rest of United Kingdom will make you feel more connected to the nation as a whole.
15. Get your adrenaline fix by riding some coasters at an amusement park!
16. Sip some tea and snack on lil sandwiches for a fancy afternoon tea!
17. Travel cheap to a new place in Europe and have a mini holiday!
Look on Skyscanner for cheap flights to neighbouring countries and Hostelworld for some cheap hostel options. If you try to stay cheap, you could spend less than £100 for a weekend!
18. See a theatre production on the West End!
There are loads of opportunities for cheap theatre tickets in London! My top tip: got to the TKTS London booth in Leicester Square!
20. Fantasize living in a castle by actually wandering the halls of a castle!
21. Escape the heat by escaping an escape room!
22. Listen to some live music at a jazz club!
23. Or even attend a concert of your favourite artist!
24. Walk around the markets, looking for cute knickknacks and the best street food!
Click here to look at our list of markets to check out for the summer!
25. Find a new favourite place to hang out with your new study abroad friends!
Living in London, a few of my favourites are God’s Own Junkyard, a wacky store of neon art, and Roofeast, a rooftop cinema/urbanpark/pub that has loads of games to play and street food to eat!