- Ireland’s largest and most international university
- Ranked in the top 1% of universities worldwide (QS World University Rankings 2014/2015)
- Over 30,000 students attend the university
- The alma mater of famous Irish writer James Joyce
Find out more about:
UCD is located in the southern Dublin suburb of Belfield, and is within easy reach of Dublin’s city centre. The beautiful, modern campus includes state of the art buildings, lecture halls, seminar rooms and study areas for students to enjoy. The UCD central library includes more than one million printed volumes and a wide range of electronic material.
With nearly 25% of the student body being international students, University College Dublin is Ireland’s leading international university and strives to continually expand its global outreach and integration. The UCD Global Lounge features over 350 international TV stations, including Sky Sports and ESPN, as well as wireless headsets to listen to individual TV stations, and Xbox Kinect with games. The lounge also hosts many seminars, talks, film evenings, exhibitions and other events relating to internationalisation throughout the year, so there’s always plenty going on to make you feel at home!
Stay active whilst abroad at UCD’s new award winning gym. Incredibly popular for both local and international students, the on campus gym offers plenty of equipment, sports classes and even free personalised fitness plans! UCD also offers a wide variety of sports clubs and societies to try out whilst abroad, including their “Get in Gear Get Active” programme. This 7 week programme provides students with the opportunity to try out a range of different exercise activities in a non-competitive environment.
Dublin is full of history, tradition and culture and has been named a UNESCO City of Literature, with UCD’s very own James Joyce being amongst one of the city’s most influential writers. In addition, Ireland’s capital ranks as the second best city in the world fo`r US citizens to live(source)! The city perfectly mixes its rich history and traditions with a contemporary and innovative vibe, with companies such as Google, Facebook and Twitter establishing their EU Headquarters here.
Whether exploring the Temple Bar district and the array of live music and street performers on every corner, gallery-hopping around Dublin and experiencing its unique art scene, strolling down Grafton Street for some afternoon shopping, or wandering a bit outside of the city centre and experiencing the breath-taking Wicklow mountains, Dublin has a personality that is sure to win your heart. In addition, as the country’s transportation hub, living in Dublin makes travelling both in Ireland and across to mainland Europe very convenient!
Top Five Things to do whilst at UCD:
1. Delve into Dublin’s political history with a visit to Kilmainham Gaol
2. Join in the UCD International community and take part in their many internationally focused events throughout the year!
3. Grab some lunch and enjoy a picnic and the beautiful view on the Upper Lake of UCD’s Belfield campus.
4. Take a trip to the nearby Wicklow Mountains and experience the tranquillity and majestic scenery of the Irish countryside
5. Catch a movie at UCD’s very own student cinema theatre-located in the Student Centre
Interested in studying abroad at University College Dublin? Click here to find out what the programme has to offer.